Saturday, December 17, 2011

Gaming Style in the Redshift Campaign



Shown above are my "GM Merit Badges," I found on Strange Magic, via the My GMing Style sidebar on Dice Monkey

Although, I think some players may consider these more hazard and warning signs than merit badges.

Of the 18 badges created by Stuart, I've selected 6 which I think is most appropriate to my style of gamemastering. 

The definitions of the above arcane symbols are, from left-to-right:

1. Character death.

2. Character development and drama.

3. Rolling dice openly.

4. Pre-made maps and scripted contents.

5. Telling an interesting story. 

6. Use of tactics. 

Okay, now for some caveats, disclaimers and qualifiers:  I don't go out of my way to kill-off player characters (PCs) , but we've already seen one PC fall in this campaign.  I roll dice openly during combat and other open actions, while keeping my die rolls hidden, when events the PCs are unaware of are transpiring.  (Think "wandering monsters").  I do create detailed maps and narratives, but this is an attempt to figure out all the possible courses of action the PCs might take and to be ready when the deviate from the script.  In this process, I hope an interesting story is created out of our efforts.

Finally, tactics are a critical element in this game.  The Redshift Chronicles is a military-based campaign.  So in order to win any engagement, employing effective tactics will be vital the PCs' survival.

And by the way, the icons are listed in alphabetical order according to the abbreviated title of the icons--not in any order of importance.

No comments:

Post a Comment